Status: On Call hourly
Schedule: Flexibility Required: Rotating Shifts, Weekends & Holidays Involved
Reporting to the Chef de Partie and/or Sous Chef the Commis 1 position is responsible for preparing and servicing all food items according to the production standards established by the Executive Chef and the Pan Pacific Hotel. Additionally this position will be responsible for leading the 2nd& 3rd Commis, Cook’s Helpers & Apprentices offering guidance in accordance with culinary standards, recipes and menus of the Pan Pacific.
The key responsibilities of the Commis 1 include but are not limited to:
- Prepares and services all food items according to Pan Pacific Hotel recipes and standards
- Ensures consistency in taste and presentation of all food items.
- Maintains daily mis-en-place and prepares certain food items for the following days duties
- Has the ability and flexibility to work in all areas of the kitchen such as Café Pacifica hot & cold line, Garde Manger and Banquet kitchen.
- Has the ability and flexibility to be scheduled for opening and closing shifts in the Café Restaurant and Banquet Production as well as weekends.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Inspect and clean food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters. 4
- Monitors related equipment, reporting any problems or inconsistencies to the Sous Chef
- Assumes responsibilities of the Chef de Partie in their absence
- Performs other related duties as required
Prepares and services all food items according to Pan Pacific Hotel recipes and standards
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
Attention to detail - Able to maintain a sustained level of concentration in a high pressured environment ensuring quality in all food production and service is consistent with the Hotel standards.
Flexibility - Demonstrated ability to be adaptive and accepting of new ideas, and a willingness to approach new challenges and adjusts plans to meet new priorities; able to manage multiple priorities and tasks in the regular course of work.
Professionalism - Regulates own behaviour, understanding the hotel culture and acts appropriately in the execution of duties; Contributes an energetic and positive attitude to the hotel atmosphere.
Decisiveness - Proven consistency in making sound decisions sometimes in pressurized or time-sensitive environments and service.
Initiative - Demonstrates the tendency to contribute ideas and initiate new ways of working, shows enthusiasm for project work and special assignments.
Leadership - Leads by example in behaving in an honest and trustworthy manner; treats others fairly; builds strong and trusting relationships with others; practices open communication.
Team Building - Promotes team achievement, contributes to the development and success of department objectives; supports and encourages team members; is respectful, actively listens to and seeks out opinions and ideas from the team.
Interactive Communication - Adapts content, style, tone and medium of communication to suit the target audience’s language and level of understanding; takes others’ perspectives into account when communicating or presenting information; facilitates open communication and information exchange.
Conflict Management - Defuses difficult situations by being assertive; facilitates discussions between parties to explore differences and help find common ground; uses tactful approach to work with others to identify solutions to emerging conflicts and or issues.
Qualifications and Technical Experience4
- Red Seal Certificate or equivalent
- A minimum of 2 years with intermediate work related experience in an equivalent size and style of operation.
- Food Safe 1 and WHMIS certificates are essential.
- Knowledge of current market trends, menu design and styles that are in line with industry standards.
- Have excellent verbal communication & interpersonal skills; Fluent written and spoken English.
- Able to maintain a sustained level of concentration in a high pressured environment ensuring quality in all food production and service is consistent with the Hotel standards.
Red Seal Certificate or equivalent
The Pan Pacific Vancouver is committed to building skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity and actively recruit members of Employment Equity designated groups. These groups are:
• Members of visible minorities
• Persons with disabilities
• Aboriginal peoples, and
The Pan Pacific Vancouver thanks all interested applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note a recent scam involves soliciting individuals for international employment via e-mail using various internet based e-mail accounts that use the Pan Pacific name. Individuals are then asked to provide copies of their personal identification and to send money in order to process the application.
Pan Pacific Hotels Group has not authorized this form of communication and no such recruitment program is being offered or sanctioned by our company. These offers are fraudulent. Pan Pacific Hotels Group has notified the authorities to investigate.
If you receive an offer of employment but are unsure if it is legitimate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have been a victim of this scheme, please contact your local police department to report the matter.